- Notes that the Government of the Syrian Arab Republic requests preparatory assistance in the amount of U$10,670 for elaborating a nomination for the Urgent Safeguarding List entitled ‘Karakoz wa Ewas Shadow Theatre in Syria’ and that the Department of Popular Heritage of the Ministry of Culture will be responsible for preparing the nomination file with the collaboration of a researcher who has previously worked on this topic;
- Takes further note that the requested funds will pay for the travel expenses of a researcher and a documentarian who will conduct interviews with current performers and families of deceased performers, for the organization of public lectures and public performances of Karakoz wa Ewas and the video production and editing;
- Considers that the requested amount and the proposed timetable adequately reflect the activities planned to elaborate the nomination file;
- Notes that the requesting State reasonably shares the costs of the proposed activities and that the Department of Popular Heritage of the Ministry of Culture is not in default of any previous contract with UNESCO;
- Decides to approve preparatory assistance in the amount of US$10,670;
- Requests the Secretariat to reach agreement with the requesting party on the technical details of the preparatory assistance, including a revised timetable.