- Project budget:
- US$ 200,000
- Japan Funds-in-Trust
- Dates of implementation:
- 01/06/2012 - 01/02/2014
Benefitting country(ies): Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay
The present project was among the first of its kind to be implemented in Latin America. It aimed at assisting Argentina as a priority and also Paraguay and Uruguay, in safeguarding their intangible cultural heritage by acquiring broad and solid knowledge of the 2003 Convention and its mechanism.
Workshops on the implementation of UNESCO’s 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage were organized at the national level. Delegates from governmental and civil society actors (community members, NGOs, academics) from Argentina and Uruguay participated in the workshops together with a civil society representative from Paraguay. A virtual network for exchange was established among all the participants as a platform for information, exchange, consultation, reflection, support and training among workshop participants.
Another facade of the project focused on community-based inventorying in the spirit of the 2003 Convention. Two training sessions were held in Buenos Aires City (Argentina) and a third one in Asunción (Paraguay). These sessions aimed at equipping participants with the fundamental knowledge and techniques to design and facilitate an inventorying process with the participation of communities and tailored to their particular circumstances.
News and activities:
- 2014-02-13 – Completion of the capacity-building programme in the Southern Cone
- 2013-10-15 – The Southern Cone concludes its capacity-building programme
- 2013-10-14 – Training on the use of the mechanisms of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 2013-09-27 – Intangible cultural heritage inventorying sees results in Argentina
- 2013-04-01 – Pilot inventory in the tango community of Buenos Aires
- 2013-03-04 – Inventorying intangible cultural heritage with community participation in Argentina
- 2013-02-25 – A step further in the identification of intangible cultural heritage in Argentina
- 2012-10-15 – Second IMP workshop for “Patrimonio Vivo”: three South American countries team up for the implementation of the 2003 Convention
- 2012-10-08 – “Patrimonio Vivo”: three South American countries team up for the implementation of the 2003 Convention
01/08/2012 - 01/03/2014 – Strengthening national capacities for effective safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage in Central America01/10/2012 - 30/11/2013 – Capacity building in designing, implementing and evaluating intangible cultural heritage projects in Viet Nam