- Having examined Document ITH/14/9.COM/5.b,
- Recalling Chapter V of the Operational Directives, and its Decision 4.COM 14.07,
- Expresses appreciation to Latvia for submitting its report on the status of the element ‘Suiti Cultural Space’, inscribed in 2009 on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding;
- Takes note of the efforts undertaken by the State Party to respond to the concerns raised by the Committee at the time of inscription, in particular the limited economic opportunities locally for generating income, shrinking opportunities and resources for the practice and transmission of the element and a lack of interest among the youth;
- Invites the State Party to develop its safeguarding strategy for this element further and concentrate its efforts on ensuring more reliable, sufficient and sustainable financial support for the safeguarding activities proposed by both the State authorities and the local community;
- Encourages the State Party to continue to grant the Suiti community and its associations a central role in planning and implementing safeguarding initiatives and, in particular, those that have a medium- to long-term outlook;
- Requests the Secretariat to inform the State Party twelve months prior to the deadline of 15 December 2017 for the submission of its next report on the status of this element.