- Having examined document LHE/21/16.COM/7.a,
- Recalling Chapter V of the Operational Directives and its Decision COM 10.a.6,
- Expresses its appreciation to Cambodia for submitting, on time, its first report on the status of the element ‘Chapei Dang Veng’, inscribed in 2016 on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding;
- Takes note of the efforts described in the report submitted by Cambodia to safeguard the element, by supporting the transmission of the element, developing Chapei training and education, honouring masters of Chapei, supporting emerging musicians, enhancing artistic development of Chapei, and raising awareness about this musical tradition to various audiences, including among school children and youth;
- Further takes note of the efforts of community members, organizations and institutions to adapt to the challenging circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, by using online modalities for master-apprentice training and providing footage of the Chapei Festival and live performances through social media;
- Encourages the State Party to pursue its safeguarding efforts through the implementation of the updated safeguarding plan, to continue enhancing training and education on Chapei and raising public awareness and interest, including among women, to safeguard all aspects of the element, including the knowledge and skills for manufacturing Chapei instruments, and to continue involving community members, organizations and other stakeholders in planning, implementing and monitoring safeguarding activities;
- Also takes note of the International Assistance granted at the time of inscription for the implementation of the safeguarding plan for the element, and further encourages the State Party to ensure the sustainability of the results achieved through this assistance and to continue its fundraising efforts and develop synergies among various funding sources;
- Requests that the Secretariat inform the State Party at least nine months prior to the deadline of 15 December 2024 about the required submission of its next report on the status of this element.